Sunday, February 22, 2009

ALBUM REVIEW: "THE REBIRTH"

As my first album review, I couldn't figure out what cd to start with. So I decided to go with what's been in my cd player recently.....It may come as a surprise to some, but for others, we already know, that Bobby Valentino is one of the most underrated R&B artists out right now. And he has yet to let me down. Known for his consistent solid efforts among music lovers (I looooooved his 1st album!), his recent release "Rebirth" has once again delivered a plethora of memorable contemporary R&B tracks. "The Rebirth" has that old Bobby feel, reminiscent of his first album, and the throwback 90's feel of R&B. Under new direction, it's lead single, "Beep," has been blazing airwaves and video countdowns alike. Much of the album is laced with production from the Dream, so needless to say, songs like "Hands on me" are mesmerizing and standout among others. With its recognizable Dream "sound", this song is destined to be a radio and club banger. "Just me and you," a refreshing semi-cover version of Tony Toni Tone's original hit, is complemented by a guitar solo from Tony Toni Tone's own original member Raphael Saadiq. Hearing the opening instrumental was so refreshing that it was enough to hint that maybe that old 90's feel (or a lil more soul) is what's missing from the struggling R&B genre today. Bobby, you may be on to something....Remakes anyone? lol....My absolute fav song on the album is "Give Me Your Heart". Not only is this, in my opinion, Bobby V's vocal breakthrough on the album, but he succeeds in captivating the strong emotional cries of a desperate man pleading for his woman's heart. Though it sounds like he borrowed from D'angelo's "How Does it Feel" and vocally, combined it with his obvious church upbringing, it made for yet another classic Bobby V ballad. Now of course, there are many other satisfactory songs on the album. But for those, you're jus gonna have buy the album. Overall though, I can play this album from start to finish (minus 2 or 3 songs), excellent for a R&b album these days, and especially one with 17 songs on it! So I jus wanna let Bobby know that while this release still may not shoot him to super stardom fame, he has a solid fan base, and a lifetime Bobby Valentino album buyer in me :) Keep doin what you're doin Bobby. 2 THUMBS WAY UP! Yaaay bobby!

p.s. Oh, and Bobby? You can stop with the sound effects now lol....that's enough "Beep, beep beeping," and whaling like sirens :)

No comments: