Friday, June 26, 2009

THE DAY THE MUSIC STOPPED...

LONG LIVE THE KING

It is with deep regret that I am writing these words. As a matter of fact, my mind feels like it’s in some foggy tunnel searching for light; a light that symbolizes the resurrection of the Genius that was Michael Jackson….I apologize if this blog comes across as scrambled as my mind is. It's usually moments like this that I am speechless, and this time is no different, however, I felt it would be disrespectful if I DIDN'T pay my respects the only way I know how - through my writing.

They say deaths come in 3. The Old, The Sick, and the Unexpected. Well I can say within this past week, all 3 have come to past. Ed McMahon, the Old. Farrah Fawcet, the Sick…but who would have ever thought that Mike would be, The Unexpected?? It’s a funny thing about Life…..we live knowing that we all have to die sometime. But it is deaths like this that feel like an assault on the human race.

It is unfortunate that the only Michael Jackson performance I ever got to witness was via tv screen or cd/album. But while pregnant with me, my mom attended the Jackson reunion tour. She always reminds me that while there, I kicked the hell out of her belly as if I was trying to mimic Jackson’s own moves. That was obviously a precursor to the connection I and many others have always felt toward Mike. I can recall as a child, crying hysterically and reaching for the tv set every time a simple MJ video went off, or a performance was finished and he left the stage. I can remember singing my own rendition of “Billie Jean”: “Billie Jeanest not my lover…” lol…or singing “Man in the Mirror” at the top of my lungs. I remember watching “Moonwalker” in amazement, and screaming every time he did the Moonwalk. Whatever Mike did, I was their in spirit, both as a child and as an adult. Some of my best childhood memories involve Mike as if he was a friend of the family, and now he is just suddenly gone. With no hint or sign that sumthin this sudden, tragic and unexpected was about to go down. We definitely were not ready for this.

Michael Jackson was, is and always will be a legend. His success and achievements go unparallel to the careers of those that have come before and after him. His talents, in my opinion, are incomparable and have always surpassed the idiocracy of the insensitive media coverage that plagued his existence. He is the “King of Pop”, or as Trey Songz said and rightfully so, the “King of Music".” His contributions to the music world as a whole have transcended boundaries crossing generations, culture (becoming not only the 1st successful African American mainstream artist, but becoming the 1st African American to get video play on MTV, which has since changed MTV forever). Additionally, his influence has crossed musical boundaries unmatched and unheard of since. He literally, changed music. I often joke around and say, Video didn’t kill the radio star, Michael Jackson did, and you can see his influence in all genres across the board, particularly in hip-hop & r&b with the likes of Usher, R.Kelly, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Ne-yo, Beyonce, and the list can go on.

There will never, EVER EVER be another Michael Jackson. He as well as his music was timeless and will live on forever. For 40years, we have watched him grow from a boy to a man. And my hope is that in death, although we should have done it a long time ago, we can give him the respect he so well deserved. There is no tribute anyone can do to even remotely come close to praising the influence Mike had on all our lives. He was an artist, a dancer, a singer, a songwriter, a humanitarian and most of all, he was a Man. An imperfect human being with flaws like all the rest of us. I will forever love and admire the man for his efforts, his talents, and the ability to withstand all of the media scrutiny for as long as he was able to. And now I pray that his soul is finally at Peace. We are truly blessed to have been able to witness such GREATness.

We Love you Mike forever and Always
REST IN PEACE
Aug 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009

"Gone Too Soon" - Michael Jackson

Like a comet
Blazing 'cross the evening sky
Gone too soon

Like a rainbow
Fading in the twinkling of an eye
Gone too soon

Shiny and sparkly
And splendidly bright
Here one day
Gone one night

Like the loss of sunlight
On a cloudy afternoon
Gone too soon

Like a castle
Built upon a sandy beach
Gone too soon

Like a perfect flower
That is just beyond your reach
Gone too soon

Born to amuse
To inspire to delight
Here one day
Gone one night

Like a sunset
Dying with the rising of the moon
Gone too soon
Gone too soon

No comments: