Monday, June 29, 2009

BET MICHAEL JACKSON TRIBUTE DISAPPOINTS!


Quite frankly, if you saw the award show lastnight with your own eyes, you saw exactly what happened. However, Im angry at myself for expecting anything different. I've been boycotting BET for a while now. Since the Debra Lee takeover, BET has been a platform for the exploitation of black culture, with 106th & Park being its saving grace. And even that hasn't been the same since the ousting of Free & AJ. So filling the void, I've been tuning into TVONE lately (as it might be quite clear now, we ALL may need to make that move). The BET awards lastnight just reminded me why.

I'm actually upset with myself, that I allowed BET's PR machine to pull me into all the anticipation of a "supposed" tribute to the King of Pop. But BET failed miserably! Between the live airing of curse words, inappropriate performances (shoutout to Young Money), breathlessly random speeches (Don Cornelius), false advertising and a host of other problems with the show, BET tragically missed the mark. The only bright side of the show were the performances, although some were still a little questionable.

For example, New Edition broke my heart. I mean, WTF WAS THAT?! The singing was god-awful, Mics were too low, and I thought Bobby was gonna collapse LOL. The only good about their performance was the precision of their dance moves, somethin New Edition has always shined in. But shouldnt there been more dancing tribute to mike? I mean, where was USHER, CHRIS BROWN, OMARION, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE? And Personally, if BET wasn't gonna let DAY26 perform on the show, they could have at least let them replace New Edition. Day26 would have ripped it! Even 5 of today's top R&B solo male acts could have been J5 for a night, and that would have been better than what we saw (Usher, Ginuwine, Neyo, etc.).

In addition, I'm sure BET intended for Tevin Campbell to be their SHOCKING awards show surprise, something they go for every year. And maybe Tevin even decided this could be a great platform to stage a possible comeback (I've heard he's been in the studio) but I mean, Tevin Campbell?! Where did they even find him?! However, I, for one was very excited! Tevin played a HUGE role in my love for music during my early childhood. And I must say, the grown Tevin Campbell looked and sounded excellent! It was great to see him shine again. However! If you're going to bring Tevin Campbell back, after years in obscurity, during a Michael Jackson tribute show, wouldnt it make more sense to have Tevin do a MJ song rather than an OJay's song?? Especially with the Quincy Jones link and all? *sighs*

What I saw lastnite was simply SAD. I mean, seriously, WHY DIDNT GINUWINE PERFORM? WHY WASNT THERE A STRING OF ARTISTS SINGING A MEDLEY OF HIS SONGS? WHERE WAS THE ACTUAL MJ TRIBUTE? WHERE WAS THE COMMENTARY RETROSPECTIVE? A couple of shoutouts or references to MJ throughout the show was not my idea of a tribute. Dressing up like Mike or wearing MJ tees, is not my idea of a tribute. People been doin that for years. WHERE WERE HIS CELEBRITY FRIENDS? WHY DIDNT THE OJAY'S SHARE MORE PERSONAL EXPERIENCES ABOUT MJ? WHY DIDNT CHRIS TUCKER SHOW N SPEAK (STILL HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING FROM HIM REGARDING HIS FRIENDS DEATH)...And we're not even gonna discuss Jamie Foxx as the host...hillarious for the most part, but constantly promoting your concert during what was supposed to be MJ's moment was the last straw for me.

BET, yall seriously need 2 step your game up. You have become an embarrassment for what is supposed to be an outlet for Black expression. As Jamie said, Michael Jackson belonged to us! And it was only right that we celebrate his life the CORRECT way. That's what I THOUGHT I was going to see. I have no idea what you thought you were doing with that show lastnight, but you have failed at the biggest opportunity in the history of your network, to not only push BET to a level of prestige, but in showing the World how to send the BEST ENTERTAINER TO EVER BE BORN, A BLACK MAN to his eternal home. And it's sad that it had to happen on such a public stage :( If we couldn't have done it correctly, it shouldn't have been done at all.

PEOPLE, if I were you, I'd seriously switch to TVONE, and make sure to look forward to the VMA's where I'm sure (its sad but true) that MTV, the network that at first refused to play black faces will send him home in style.

You know what...I actually read anotha article on this very topic that I want to pass along to you. Because he said everything I want to say and more:



3 comments:

SFS CREATIVES said...

Ditto Rissa. I full on agree with everything you said. BET sucked me in and I was rather disappointed, so much so that after the "barely Drake mostly Wayne running around performance" I turned off the tv because I just knew the show was over. Shouting out Michael Jacksons name is not a tribute and I guess what's sad is that I didn't expect much more from BET. Sound problems, cutting off commercials, pauses in switching cameras, awkward beyonce&jay z moments, constant rambling, and miscommunication, poor advertising/commercial shots<--- Those are the reasons I DONT Watch BET and thats the reason why after last night I Still WONT watch BET. Why were little kids on stage while Lil Wayne boasted that he wants to fuck every girl in the world? Why were the mic lower than the music? Why were the community spotlights lame and unorganized? Okay I have to stop because I am going to get angry.

Some random good points:
-Beyonce singing Ave Maria(alot of our people don't know a thing about classical music and that was a stretch to have her perform that song, even though that was a perfect seqway into a PROPER MJ tribute)
-Maxwell always delivers
-Keri Hilson I like her more and more everytime I see her perform, she's different in a good way. And her dress was so cute (sorry I may have a slight girl crush on her lol)
-Neyo showing his vocal capibilities
-Sad to say but Souljah Boy did a good job granted that he is only the male paula abdul of our time.
-Bel Biv Divoe: I am always a fan so I have nothing negative to say I was up and doing the running man as soon as I heard their song. (I did realize i am getting old though because i almost passed out trying to get it like i used too lol)
-and lastly TREY, TYRESE, and JOHNNY GILL made me remember what R&B is supossed to sound like. I was so proud of them and happy that Trey is getting some much needed exposure because he is truly great.

JamesBGolden said...

Beyonce's performance was outstanding! I think it was the most subtle but direct tribute to Michael, because it was apparent that the songs were picked to say goodbye to him.

Overall, I felt that the show had good performances, but there were a few act-ups (i.e. Drake and Lil' Wayne's ridiculous performance with under aged girls singing "I wanna f*ck every girl in the world, Jay-Z, and some others).

I think that in the 2 days they had to rearrange the show, it could have been worse... yet in still it's BET and they have had a hard time doing basic things right lately.

Nonetheless, I was on Jamie overload... not okay to EVER EVER EVER promote an album or tour at an awards show... that's how we know he's a musical amateur.

But... Keke Palmer was the biggest surprise for me. Just excellent.

Loved Monica (as usual). Maxwell is classic. And Keri could rival Rihanna.

Final thought:

....Who asked Ciara to sing "Heal the World"? Fire them. I didn't know that she sang. :)

B said...

http://missjia.com/miss-jia-bet-awards-thoughts-late.html


just wanted to show you this. :)